Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tribulations of Education

In "To Be Black, Female, & Literate: A Personal Journal in Education & Alienation," Leonie C. R. Smith discusses the issues that she was faced with in her life . Struggles coming from the ignorance of others trying to hold her back from the one thing consistently remains the one thing she is sure about, and that is her education. She faces racism and isolation throughout her education, but points out the importance of getting her degree in order to make something of her life. It has opened myself to realize that I should never let the importance of my education get out of sight. Education is the stepping stone into a career and gives you the foundations and skills to be successful in whichever field, although it may come with the varying costs. Everyone is not given the opportunity to get an education. It is harder in the present to get a job without the proper educational history. Smith shares in her article how the negative attitudes and views of others shouldn't hold back the person from doing what they need to become great and successful. She goes over how her life on campus included facing racism and not recieving the treatment she deserved. In every life situation a person will find themseleves dealing with those who will judge based on appearance. Being a minority plays a larger role in society that people choose to recognized. Her journal entry was something I could connect to the teachings in my African Diaspora and World class last semester. It deals with the concepts of identity and how knowing your historical background plays such a large role in that. Not all are as focused and determined as they should be when it comes to being true to themselves and being above the ignorance of others. Smith has given me more fire within myself on keeping true to who I am and to take advantage of my education in spite of the battles I must endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment