Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Literacy & the Black Woman"

Black women have been in a fight lasting decades for their rights to an education; currently it is a fight for an equal education. Darling's "Literacy of a Black Women" explains the struggles a black woman must endure and how if affects the life they must lead. I am constantly told today that society looks to my generation to help uplift everyone. Reading this article I have learned that black women are constantly expected to make sacrifices and to bring up the race. After all the fighting that the black woman has endured, there has been no rest. Professors have brought up in my lectures that oppression continues to run deep in the present. I have noticed in my high school and elementary classes the lacking of black history and the race's role in life. It is understandable why so many black children find it hard to relate to the teachings in their classroom. It looks to me as though the only time the education board feels the need to mention black history is during the month of February, at one point there wasn't even a month dedicated to the black culture. Even though there has been much growth in the education system, there is still a ways to go. I find myself fortunate to be at a black historic school because I know for a fact I would never know the role black women play in society. I plan to live my life giving back to the community and be a great success with my personal, educational, and career goals. I plan to do this not because it is expected of me, but because it is the life I want to live. I believe it is the duty of every citizen to uplift the community they are a part of, but the world is far from perfect. In order to create equal opportunity there is work, support from all racial backgrounds is necessary. So if black women need to continue their singing, storytelling, and drama in order to uplift ourselves, let it be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment