Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Taking the other path

        I am an African American the one who society looks down upon. I am a woman another classification that society looks down upon. I am an African American woman and I shall let my greatness shine bright among this world with negative views towards me. For hundred of years the black woman has been little to nothing in the eyes of others and it is time the belittling comes to an end. I refuse to believe all of the great African American women that came before me were worthless. These women were great leaders, teachers, and caregivers and their significance should not be an understatement. In the excerpt, Going Against the Grain, it is shown how black women have been battling for hundreds of years to get of rid societies stereotypes of them.  It displays the character of a strong black woman precisely and magnifies our go-getter attitude. One character in this book stood out to me and exhibits these traits, Charlotte Forten. 
She came from a different background than those people of Port Royal, but she looked past it and was able to give them the knowledge they needed.  She showed the black women nurturing instinct by taking those people under her wing. Another piece of this story that stood out to me was the literary part of the story. Of course, being a student at Spelman College, literacy has been a gateway to my success. I believe that efficiency in those areas is how blacks progressed through slavery. My opinion is supported throughout this piece. If the African American did not have the drive to improve themselves through this particular method, we would   not be in the positions of power we are in today. Knowledge is power and if the black man, let alone the black woman has this power in their hands we are simply unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment